So, I got out of my car and had to wait in line for quite a while. In front of me stood a man who was completely covered in tattoos, wearing dirty, baggy clothes and had filthy bare feet. He seemed numb. The more I nonchalantly observed his strange behaviors, I could see he was most likely under the influence of some sort of substance. He slowly kept looking all around. I was then on high alert; my arm hairs stood on end. I tightly held my purse and kept what I thought was a "safe" distance. I carefully scanned my surroundings and looked for someone to call should I need help.The man purchased his ice cream. He proceeded to stand all alone in the parking lot out near the road. He rocked back and forth, eating his ice cream and observing all the people and activity. I then threw my judgmental spirit out to sea and my heart was totally overwhelmed with love and compassion. Sadly, in today's world, especially as a woman, I must be cautious. I knew it would not be wise, but I wanted so desperately to go over and talk with this man. I had so many questions about his life. In my fears, I'm guessing he has many fears too. I'm also quite certain he has hurts, failures and probably experiences extreme loneliness and rejection.
These are the people who totally shatter my heart. As Jesus' disciple, I long to meet these "outcasts" right where they are. I want to be out there in the mess of life. I just have no idea to get there.
Just look around...allow yourself to see it, feel it, listen to it, attempt to grasp it...embrace it.
No comments:
Post a Comment