Ahhhhh. It is beyond peaceful this morning. It's been an extremely rainy summer and it is another quiet, gentle rain. I just love the calming sound of the rain.
Yet, with the recent residential construction down below, those boys have been really rocking my world. The noise is paralyzing and they are seriously disturbing my solitude. I want to say, "Listen up boys...I've got 2 weeks of my summer left...why did you have to choose now to build a house?" Heavy equipment, nail guns, screaming oldies music, obnoxious voices, airplanes overhead, dogs barking, the hum of the air conditioner. Don't they all know I need peace and quiet??!! So much for that.
As I anticipate the upcoming rushed mornings and school schedule, I begin feeling so sad. I hate giving up my treasured mornings. Why does it seem that it takes so little to disrupt my inner, private world? Why do menial externals so easily rob my inner peace? I can't just run away to Paradise Island and I can't just hike to the top of White Face Mountain. I can't always walk by the sea. How can I maintain this inner stillness?
Life goes on. Birds feed their hungry babies, bumble bees rob the flowers of pollen, stupid squirrels play tag and steal my pears, butterflies dance in the sun, bunnies call my back yard their home. All of nature seems undisturbed. And, at least on the outside, and no busy schedule, they seem to completely enjoy inner peace and rest.
Only God can lead me there. He wants me to live in peace and rest midst the busyness and noise of life. Is this something I have to learn or is this a state that I am given? I just need to ask.
No comments:
Post a Comment