Sunday, February 15, 2015

Lone Survivors

Writing by oil lamp, Ice Storm 2-14
Everything is paralyzed today due to extreme wind chill of -20 and icy conditions.  So, I'm hunkered down by the fireplace...alone in my thoughts...in my favorite happy place second to the sea.

Last week, I read the book, "Lone Survivor," by Marcus Luttrell.  Besides "Unbroken," I have never been so deeply impacted by a book.  It is one that will stay with me forever.  This is a true story about a team of U.S. Navy SEALS whose mission was to find a key Taliban leader in the mountains of Afghanistan in 2005.  (I'm one of those strange women who loves reading about real life and real people... most times fiction novels seem like such a waste of time...unless I'm escaping at the surf.)

The fact that any Navy SEAL survives the training of "Hell Week" is unfathomable.  They function in a higher level of consciousness.  I am utterly amazed by their inner strength and determined survival mindset no matter what.  I wish I had that kind of inner-stuff.  In fact, I asked my husband if he thought I could survive "Hell Week."  He quickly responded, "Uhhh...no."  I was so offended!!  :)  In fact he is very right; I'm certain I'd never even survive day 1 of basic training.  The first time my commanding officer yelled at me or looked at me cross-eyed, I'd cry hysterically, hang up my hat and ring the bell of surrender.

Anyway, this SEAL team endured horrific circumstances and endured unthinkable pain.  As they maneuvered the treacherous mountains, they took several horrible falls and sustained terrible injuries including those inflicted by their enemy.  The survivor, Marcus Luttrell was acutely aware of God's hand of protection; he was absolutely sure that nothing was coincidental.  He was certain that God had not forsaken him.  He even inscribed into rock a classic line from one of my favorite movies, "The Count of Monte Cristo"...the phrase "God will give me justice."  In the end, he had only one teammate...and "He moved in mysterious ways"...one miracle after another...one guardian angel after another.

I was left totally amazed and with several questions.  Does a strong, determined inner will extend one's life apart from God's plan?  Why did Marcus survive and not the other three?  Was God's presence clear to them as well?  Had Marcus convinced himself that he was going to die, would he have?

Just as Marcus endured hell and was a "Lone Survivor," so was Jesus.  He went before us and endured the Cross; a hell that no one has ever endured.  He felt forsaken by his own Father.  Yet, because of His love for His Father and for us, He never gave up.  He knew His mission and purpose here on Earth. He never, ever lost sight of that.

I've never even come close to understanding such a mindset.  Good grief, I am ashamed to admit that I don't even like going out in minus 20 degree wind chill.  I am so humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment