It's a really pretty, snowy day today...so very peaceful. So far this winter, I am still waiting for that big dumping of snow. I am certain my Boston family and friends would be more than happy to ship a heap my way; I'm so jealous!
This morning, I've been thinking about Jesus..."a friend of sinners." Matt. 11:19. Some truths I've known and heard numerous times since I was a wee little girl. For some reason, today, this phrase really drove home.
I've been exposed to a long history of legalism which has sent clear messages: don't associate with them, don't go there, don't touch them, keep your distance, I'm better than them, clean up your act then I'll hang with you, be in the world but not of it. When you become holy like me, then you will be okay and you'll fit in. Don't do that, don't dress that way, don't wear make-up, don't wear jewelry, don't wear pants, don't cut your hair...it's all sin. I can sense this mindset a mile away and I want no part of it. I don't see one ounce of love in that thinking. And, I certainly know of many casualties because of it.
Take a look at her. She's a parent that I see at work on a weekly basis. Bleached blond, piercings over her entire face, a tattoo across her entire chest for all to see...really, really rough. Drug addict. Prison history. Single parent. Broken family. A completely shattered life. Two weeks ago, at the end of the day she stormed into our school building, bypassed the sign-in process, slammed my office door against the wall and blasted into my office...along with her mother and her daughter. She was clearly "under the influence" and was irate about a re-occurring health issue. Security was called as this woman became threatening and she was escorted out of my office and out of the building. In my heart, initially, I was judgmental. Very quickly, Jesus spoke to me...I was filled with compassion and my heart was once again broken into a million pieces. I have no idea what it is like to walk in her shoes. How did she get to where she is? None of us know her life story. It is so very easy to judge others by their outsides. Since then, we have been developing a good relationship and she knows I care about HER.
Numerous examples in the Bible tell us of Jesus' friendship with sinners. When we completely see our own sinfulness and desperation and we know what Jesus has done in our own lives, it is so easy to love those who are looking for love in all the wrong places. Romans 5:18 says, "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." In I Timothy 1:15, Paul writes, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners...of whom I am the worst. I was shown mercy so that in me, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience." I long to reflect this kind of mercy and endless patience.
Jesus found all kinds of joy just being a friend to sinners. He walked alongside of them, he talked with them...he got down and dirty. Jesus was touched by and touched sinners. ~Luke 7:39. He spent time with and was a guest with sinners. ~John 8:11. Most of all, He never condemned them.
Being a friend to a woman like the one I mentioned, certainly isn't always comfortable or easy. And, I certainly can't fix her mess. But, I can be a friend and love her...and most of all pray that Jesus draws her to Himself because of his love...and totally puts her broken pieces together. I want to encourage her on the road to wholeness. Jesus can do so much more than I could ever do. Yet, I wonder...who else touches her life? Who knows, perhaps no one else in her life conveys the love of Jesus. I can look deep into her eyes and love her as a person with incredible potential and immense value. I want her to find the hope that Jesus brings. These people are in my path all~the~time.
As we look at these people, Jesus changes our vision...He helps us to see clear through to their hearts. When people don't look like us and obviously live extremely messy lives, how do we respond to them? I think it is really important to examine our hearts. Are we willing to be a friend and go where it might be extremely uncomfortable at times?
I am willing.
No comments:
Post a Comment