Monday, July 7, 2014

Storms do end...but the effects still linger

July 5: Returning from a week at a mountain lake, it's home sweet home.  I think it was the first time in over 10 years that we were not able to make it to the Outer Banks, NC.  We were sad.  But, at the same time, we are very thankful that we were not on Hatteras Island as we normally would have been.  Due to Hurricane Arthur, if we had been there and chosen not to evacuate, we'd be stuck on the island right now.  I don't know...that wouldn't be a bad thing!

Anyway, it is good to be back in my sun room and I'm experiencing the lingering effects of the storm.  It's perfect:  no humidity, clear blue skies, 65 degrees and a refreshing breeze.  It's heaven and all is well.  Normally, all we hear about are storm's devastating effects.  But, what about the silver linings?  Sometimes, we must search long and hard to find them...but they are there.

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is when Jesus calms the storm.  I love it that Jesus loved to teach His best lessons by the water.  Water was therapeutic to Him as well.  This time He was teaching the crowds by a lake.  He needed solitude and rest and my guess is He sensed the need to teach the disciples another lesson of faith.  So, he invited them to go alone with him to the other side of the lake..

Jesus fell sound asleep.  An unexpected storm mounted.  I don't know about you, but I've been out canoeing on a lake before when an unexpected storm comes.  It is scary!!!   Panic engulfed the disciples and they frantically woke Jesus.  They once again questioned him and asked if He cared one bit that they might drown.  They were helpless and desperate.  Jesus stood and commanded the waves, "Quiet!!!  Be still!!!"  Immediately, the wind ceased and it was completely calm.  I imagine there was a gentle whisper or maybe not even one sound.  Jesus then turned to them and addressed their fear and the core issue of their absence of faith.

But, I have to wonder...was Jesus really asleep or was He faking?  I wonder how the story would have ended if the disciples never woke Jesus?  And, why did He wait until the disciples questioned him...to calm the storm?  These are just a few of my questions.

So, in the ugliness of our personal life storms, those really tough times, where are are those silver linings? We need to look for them. The many years of memories resurface to sometimes torture us.  Those storms make us who we are; they add to our life stories.  They strengthen our character and faith.  And, if we allow him, Jesus will calm our storms and take us to the other side.  One day, we'll see the beauty of the effects of our storms.

p.s. Please don't laugh hysterically, but this was the best I could do last week.  We'd certainly starve to death with Mommy's catches.  Regardless...it was fun.
my little prize for the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment