"We ourselves
feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But, the ocean
would be less because of that missing drop." ~Mother Theresa
(I knew I loved Mother Theresa for more than one reason...she loves the ocean too...we truly are kindred spirits. :-)
(I knew I loved Mother Theresa for more than one reason...she loves the ocean too...we truly are kindred spirits. :-)
It was just another crazy morning in my office. A student came in at 9:30 am and tells me that she forgot to bring her lunch. She asked if I would call her Mom and let her know. I thought to myself, "Seriously? This is totally non-medical in nature. I do not have time for this. Who on earth sent her to me for this?? This is NOT my job!!" So, I put my "tude" aside and told her that she could call her Mom herself from my office.
She was able to contact her Mom. While on the phone, she clearly began to unravel and started crying. She didn't want to buy lunch because she didn't like the choices: pb and j (she doesn't like the jelly part) or ham sandwiches. In that moment and to myself, I passed judgement. I thought, "All this over peanut butter and jelly? You need to get a grip!" Then, I was asked to see if the cafeteria would make an exception and make a plain peanut butter sandwich. I'm a nurse not a sandwich maker for heaven's sake!
Then, I remembered...there is a whole lot more going on here than just being upset over jelly and forgetting her lunch. God got my attention and whispered, "Are you fully present with me, Kristal?" Once again I was humbled. I was too proud and too busy to handle taking care of someone's lunch issues at 9:30 in the morning. Obviously, she needed way more than just a lunch.
So, I walked down the hallway with her...smiling, laughing with her, arm around her...holding her as tightly as I could. She needed love, reassurance and comfort...helping her to see that she will make it though this. As silly as this encounter initially seemed, this moment in her life could be huge; I wanted her to remember this one. I looked deep into her beautiful blue eyes and told her, "Everything is going to be alright." She needed to know that I was there for her...she could take a deep breath now. You see, I was once this little girl and longed many times to hear those same words.
Maybe this was just a drop in the ocean. But, it is my deepest prayer that I can make a difference in these little cherubs' lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment