Friday, May 2, 2014

Do outsides really matter? Seriously now...

"The nicest people I've ever met were covered in tattoos and piercings. The most judgemental people I've met are the ones who go to church every Sunday."

Does this quotation bother you?  It certainly does me.  And, I must say, I believe in general this is true.  I too have met some of the most awesome, genuine people outside of the church walls:  those who don't  look like me in the least bit.  In fact, I often wonder to myself, "How do I appear to others?"  I've often said it is so much fun to hang out with people who are not like me...who have not been raised in the church...who have little to no Christian foundation.  Conversations are so fresh and unguarded.  I learn SO much from others.


As followers of Jesus, what is it that concerns us so much with externals?  Did these things EVER bother Jesus?  I think not.  In fact, he was drawn to the those who don't look like everyone else.  He was drawn to those who never received a second look and those who were considered to be hopeless.  He looked straight into hearts.  The heart  has been and always will be His greatest concern.


I want to be like Jesus.  He continues to challenge me to the core.  I am determined to make a difference with insides.


p.s. 5-3-14  I'm always so amazed by what I need to learn from my writings.  I was at a children's Christian Day Camp today and you'll never guess who was placed in my path.  Yup, it was him.  The guy with tattoos all over his body, piercings all over his face and he wore a black ski hat.  He stood basically all alone for 6 hours. The only time I saw even close to a smile was when he interacted with his son.  I kept asking God what He was trying to tell me.  Never once did I see one of the men stand at his side (or anyone for that matter) making any effort to befriend him.  I wanted so much to be that person but I knew it would be inappropriate for me to do so.  I tried to make eye contact with him to at least offer a smile of kindness.   What does the church do with people just like him??  Exactly what I saw today...fear, distance, judgement and exclusion.  My heart totally aches for those who so desperately need to see the love of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment