Yesterday, I took my daughter and her friend to a carnival. Carnivals are absolutely NOT on my top 100 list of things that I love to do. I would much rather have been snuggled at home...reading a book or sitting by the sea. But, I did it for her.
It was a creepy, autumn evening...sort of like an old Western movie. There was a chilly wind and we were among maybe 5 other families. Everything seemed to be in slow motion and it seemed deserted. As we walked around, I couldn't help but notice each and every carnival worker. They all fit the stereotype of what you would imagine and society would sadly call "white trash." There was such emptiness and hopelessness in each of their eyes and on their faces. What a depressing existence. I attempted to make eye contact and to smile; they seemed not to notice...with no return. Their countenances where totally glazed over and seemed to look right through me.
I did end up having a short conversation with one man. He was obese, filthy, greasy and had a mouthful of decayed and missing teeth. He told me that the end of this carnival couldn't get here soon enough. He said it's been like a ghost town. Soon, they will be done traveling and packing it all up for the winter. He asked me, "What's the largest family you've ever heard of?" I knew where this was going. I said, "Well...probably 15-18." He said, "My mama had 28 kids...17 boys and 11 girls." I thought to myself, "Just shoot me." I asked where he was from and he responded, "Do you know where State College is? I live just the other side of the mountain." I smiled...somehow, I already knew. I gave him a little bit of time; I wanted him to know he is important.
I'm sure the majority of people don't give "these types" of people the time of day. Most view them as the "scum of the earth"...just like the Samaritans in Jesus' day. I have a much higher call and responsibility. I can't help but see them as people of incredible worth and value. My mission is to share the love of Jesus with everyone I meet. I long to offer the hope that only Jesus brings.
I can easily turn the other way. But, I just can't. How do we reach these people? Who, in their world, is reaching out to them? I can't help but wonder...I can't help but to care. I can't help but hope that because of Jesus, I can make the slightest difference in someone's life.
No comments:
Post a Comment