I clearly remember the pivotal moment in my life when I deeply began to understand the gift of grace. I've told this story, in general, in my very first blog post, "Albania: Where it all began." It was during that 6.5 week mission experience, that I had a complete and unexpected heart change.
As we walked the streets of Albania, it seems every derelict of life was drawn to us. I was very uncomfortable and I didn't get it. These people were way out of my comfort zone and I did everything I could to avoid them. I remember when God whispered in my ear, "Uh, Kris, isn't this what you came for...to share My love?" It was then that I realized I had a whole lot more to learn than the Albanians did.
I can see the town gypsy prostitute. We came face to face. She was dirty and had an evil sneer. At some point in our interaction, she revealed via the interpreter that she had about 12 pregnancies that she self-terminated with the use of a coat hanger. I was beyond repulsed and angry. How this woman didn't die multiple times of massive systemic infection, I'll never understand. Here I was, in my prime, seemingly "doing everything right," deeply longing for a child of my own...and for whatever reason unable to conceive. "Why, God??! Why is it that this woman can conceive over and over again in such ugly circumstances? Why are you using her to rub my infertility in my face??!" This disgusting woman had no regard for life. In my thoughts, she defined the term "low-life." I could barely look her in the eyes. How could she live like this? How could she not see the obvious blessing of a child?? She defined the term hopeless. She was beyond lost. Yes...that was me who had all those horrible thoughts.
God finally got my attention with a bang. "Kris, just who do you think you are??" I began to see this prostitute through God's eyes. She needed grace, she needed hope and was longing for love. Yet, she was looking for love in all the wrong places and was trying to make a living in her third world mere existence. She was absolutely desperate. And, I realized I am absolutely no different...I am totally desperate and in need of love, grace, mercy and forgiveness. It is only because of God's grace that "I live and move and have a being" and it is only because of God's grace that I wasn't in her same place. In that moment, I was able to offer her grace and hope and forgiveness. It was a total miracle. My heart was totally changed...forever.
One of my favorite stories is from the book, "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire," by Jim Cymbala. From NY City, Pastor Cymbala, during one particular Sunday's sermon, continually caught eyes with a man who appeared homeless. From previous experience, Jim knew in his heart that at the end of his sermon this man would come forward begging for money. Sure enough, this man came forward; they were face to face. He was absolutely filthy and smelled putrid. Jim kept stepping backward as his breath was utterly repulsive; he wanted to vomit. Jim reached in his pockets for some money to give to him (and quickly to get this man out of his personal space). The man responded, "No Sir, I don't want your money. I want to know this Jesus you are speaking about."
| Happy, snowy Valentine's Day... |
No comments:
Post a Comment