It's one of those beautiful, sunny, "not a cloud in the sky," 23 degree winter days. And, it's 67 degrees in the sun-room. So, I decided to sit out here today and absorb some solitude and much needed vitamin D. The sunshine does wonders for my dull, grey brain. I can close my eyes and imagine I'm planted in some tropical paradise. The only thing that's missing is the balmy breeze and salty air...and a fresh squeezed fruit punch. Where is that waitress, anyway?? You just can't depend on anyone these days.
In this blinding sunlight, I'm thinking about my dad...my hero. For years, his eyes have been his weak link. Many years ago, one eye was damaged from Glaucoma. Then, five years ago, the other eye suffered a massive bleed from Macular Degeneration. This left him legally blind. Tomorrow, he faces yet another eye surgery; being given little hope that he will at most see more light.
Multiple times and many stories in the Bible tell us that Jesus gave sight to the blind. He healed many sicknesses and diseases. It is so hard for me to understand why some have to suffer with different afflictions more than others. I get stuck here. All we have to do is have faith and ask. So, why does Jesus heal some and not others?? Why do some have to experience long-suffering?? I may never have those answers here on earth.
As I said, my dad is told that the most his surgery will do is allow him to see more light. I do believe Jesus can and desires to do way more than we can ever ask or imagine. I believe he can heal this blind man. He's done it countless times before, certainly He can do it again.
I don't know. I guess it's our "weak links" and our "thorns in the flesh"...those painful areas that keep us remembering where we need to stay...desperate for Jesus.
p.s. 2-18-14 Miracle alert!!: I am ecstatic to report...just one day post-op, my dad can see my mom's face, he can see the mirror, sconces, clock and wreath on the wall, and he can see the black birds in the snow. This is way more than he has seen in 5 years...and way more than he has seen out of that specific eye for 15 years!! I'd say Jesus has performed yet another miracle and did more than we were given hope for or imagined!!! So thankful today...
No comments:
Post a Comment