Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Immeasurable measure?

As I continue to think on my previous post, "Are we fully living and living filled?,"  I still linger here alone in my thoughts and questions.

Ephesians 3:20 says, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us...to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus..."

As followers of Christ, do we truly long to live in God's power and to experience the fullness of all that He is?  Do we just passively live life...taking what life brings?  Or do we actively live our lives longing for more of who God is??  He longs for this in us waaaaaaay more than we do.  I try to understand and imagine what this feels like...in my life and in yours.  Yet, I know full well that this is much deeper than a feeling that I tend to look for.  I know when I work-out, I feel stronger, I feel more powerful, I feel the energy...like I could possibly conquer the world.  That endorphin high is definitely temporary.  I stay strong when I continue to exert muscle power...I make it happen.  But, living in God's power and fullness is obviously not about what I do at all.  Sometimes I listen, I look at you and I think to myself, "Wow, you really seem to get it...I see God's power, strength and fullness in your life."  Really..."it is only in Him that we live and move and have our being." (Acts 17:28)

But, based on verse 20, can we even begin to measure or understand God's power that is at work in us?  Is His power, presence and work ever-present?  In what ways do I hinder Him?  We anxiously search for outward signs and evidence.  But, this seems to be a supernatural measuring department that we know nothing about.  It is way beyond our area of expertise...and certainly nothing that we can manufacture.  God's work and power in us is absolutely immeasurable.  I guess this is just where our faith must come in.  I don't know.  "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."  (Hebrews 12:1).

Maybe I'm not making any sense to you at all.  As I look out today, I see the snow falling in all different directions; it is the only reason that I have faith that the wind is blowing.  I can't see it...I just know.  I don't know why...it just is.

No comments:

Post a Comment