Monday, December 14, 2015

It's in stillness...

As I wrote about in my previous post, I've been thinking more about the word "stillness."   Some definitions of stillness that I found are as follows:  1. Not moving or in motion. 2.  Free of disturbance, agitation or commotion (as in the still waters of a lake-of course I love this).  3. Silence; quiet.

Why does it seem I experience "stillness" when all the preparation for Christmas is over??  I look forward to that week of Christmas vacation when I can breathe a sigh of relief...ahhhh.  I try so hard to not allow the rush and materialsim to have its effect on me.  And, every year I get so angry with myself for allowing the stress to grip me; then it becomes a vicious cycle and it's not good for my overall health.  It's just not supposed to be like this at all.  It certainly wasn't like this for Mary and Joseph.

How do I experience internal stillness amidst the external chaos of busyness, stress, mean and nasty people, to-do lists., deadlines, pressures, expectations, schedules...on and on it goes.  How do I guard my soul?  How do I just "Be still and know...?"

I keep thinking, "Well...I'll get there."  No...for me, that's not good enough.  There's way more to this "stillness" thing than obviously I seem to understand.  I want to live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment