My pastor invited me to participate in writings for this Advent Season. I absolutely love this time of year. As I study my assigned scriptures, wow...I am so challenged. So, here is writing #1 in a series of four. I hope this reaches you as much as it does me.
Scripture readings: Psam 16, 17, 22; Amos 5:1-17; Matt. 22:1-14; Jude 1-16
Last week, I was driving along the highway to run some errands. There he was, shuffling by the curbside...a seemingly aimless wanderer. He was filthy dirty, carrying one small bag. As I passed, I continued glancing at him in my rear view mirror. Then, two and 1/2 hours later, I saw that same man at the street corner. This time, I saw his eyes. He looked incredibly empty and lonely. Was it coincidental that I would see him again? I don't think so; I was supposed to see him. I wondered about his life. Was he homeless? Were all his belongings in that one small bag? Did he have any family? Who cared about this guy? What about his insides? Would anyone care enough to invite him to a feast and give him the absolute best? In my self-righteous thinking, am I any better off? Did anyone else notice? Well, I noticed and my heart was overwhelmed with compassion. I felt so helpless.
In the Parable of the Wedding Feast (Matt. 22), Jesus specifically addresses the Pharisees and Jewish leaders. In a nutshell, Jesus confronts the long standing issue of rejecting the coming Messiah and the Kingdom of heaven who was "at hand"...or now fully present. Here, there were three distinct, purposeful invitations with varying responses of rejection. With the third invitation, the King sends his servants out to the street corners; find the poor, homeless, maimed, blind, lame. There are no exclusions...all are welcome to enjoy the absolute best that the King has to offer. He sends a simple invitation that says, "Come."
Like that man on the street corner, Jesus warns us to quit with the aimless wandering. Take his relationship and gift of grace very seriously. No more lukewarm. Jude 2:12,13 reads..."Do not be clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted--twice dead, ...wild waves of the sea, foaming up shame, wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever." Be my true disciples; be purposeful. Matt. 22: 37 says: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind And, the second is this...love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
If you have never accepted the invitation to the wedding, Jesus welcomes you with open arms. If your love for him has grown cold, now is the time to return. If you wonder if you have ever really loved him with all your heart, wander aimlessly no more. Listen to his warnings.
Return to the Lord.
Please listen to one of my favorite songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKUmA7Tu7DM

No comments:
Post a Comment