Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The eyes have it

As I check annual vision screenings on the second grade students, our conversations are always fun and sometimes challenging.  I get overwhelmed when I think, this is the class of 2024; this is my daughter's graduating class.  Be still my heart.  By that time, I sure hope I still have teeth and am walking without a cane.  I'll do my absolute best to be the youngest, healthiest, old mom at commencement.

To me, screening vision has much more meaning than just making sure students have adequate vision to enhance learning.  It is not just about checking vision...it is about looking deep into these precious lives' eyes.  Eyes tell me a whole lot about the overall health of a person.  Eyes convey very important messages.  ( I will admit, I do have a bit of an obsession with eyes.  Nurses can be a little weird sometimes.)  And, I wonder...what will life be like for these students over the next 10 years?  I wonder where they are headed, what skills will they develop, what kind of sports will they play, what hurdles will they have to overcome, what triumphs are waiting and most importantly...what will contribute to their character development.

And, I wonder...will I be able to make just a slight difference in their lives?  On their end, I hope they can see the love of Jesus in my eyes.  I totally love these little souls.  I'm right where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment