Tuesday, November 26, 2013

On wings like eagles

On our way home yesterday, my husband (aka "Hawk Eye") spotted a bald eagle!  It was flying just above us...as we drove next to a farmer's field.  I have never seen a bald eagle before.  He was amazing and so majestic!  We watched as he fought the high winds and then allowed the wind to carry him...soaring higher and higher.  He basically followed our same path for most of the drive home.  While others might think, "Wow...a bald eagle...what a beautiful symbol of freedom!"  In those unexpected and rare surprises of life, I think to myself, "What am I supposed to hear and learn from this?"  This was no accident.  So, once again, I listened up.

God immediately reminded me of one of my favorite scriptures from Isaiah 40..."Have you not been paying attention?  Have you not been listening?  Haven't you heard these stories all your life?  Don't you understand the foundation of all things?  God sits high above the round ball of earth.  The people look like mere ants.  He stretches out the skies like a canvas--yes, like a tent canvas to live under...who can hold a candle to Me?  Why would you ever complain saying, 'God has lost track of me.  He doesn't care what happens to me?'  God doesn't come and go.  God lasts.  He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch His breath.  And, He knows everything, inside and out.  He energizes those tho get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts.  For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall.  But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.  They spread their wings and soar like eagles, they run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind." ~MSG

Then, I thought of the words to one of my favorite worship choruses:  "Hold me close, let your love surround me.  Bring me near, draw me to your side.  And, as I wait, I'll rise up like the eagle.  And, I will soar with You, Your Spirit leads me on...in the power of Your love."

Sometimes, I get so tired.  I'm working really hard on the things that matter most in this life.  Juggling, spinning and maintaining balance is just plain exhausting; I want to get off the ride at times.  In the midst of the wear and tear of life, I want to learn to allow God to carry me and hold me close.  I want to be patient in the waiting and arriving and to soar on the coastal winds.  I long to live free in Christ and in the power of His love.  Honestly, I'm not quite sure what that means.  But, I'm willing to wait long enough to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment