Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Something transformational is happening...


God often sends me a butterfly to gently reassure me of His presence.  He's pretty sneaky like that, you know?  This first became ever so apparent in the process of adopting our daughter.  And, He has been sending me butterflies ever since.  In fact, as I sit in my sun-room, God sent one to me just now.  It is a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly.  She's known as a strong flier.  On the butterfly bush, she floats from flower to flower.  She is living "wholehearted."  She thinks no one notices how much she is loving and living the life intended for her.  I notice.

When I consider the beauty of a butterfly, it is so easy to forget its life-cycle and transforming process called Metamorphosis. Metamorphosis is a significant series of life-changes.  Life begins as a sesame seed-sized egg.  In just a few days an ugly, slimy caterpillar wiggles, hatches and emerges.  Initially feeding on the nutrient-rich egg shell, it then begins its delectable main course...the milk weed leaf.  Oh, yummm.  As she grows, one by one, she sheds her thin layers of skin.  She then attaches herself to a twig to shed her clothes one final time.  I wonder if that shedding process hurts at all??  In this stage, the caterpillar becomes a pupa or chrysalis (I love to hear my daughter say the word chrysalis).  She becomes completely motionless for about 1.5 weeks; this is the resting stage.  Ahhhhh, being still.  In perfect time, an amazing butterfly emerges.  I wonder again if that emerging and squeezing process is painful?  It at least takes a lot of energy and a lot of very hard work.  Initially, for several minutes, her wings are actually quite small.  Fluids are pumped into her wings and she is soon able to take flight.  I didn't realize butterflies receive personal athletic training!  What a funny picture!  (Then I remembered, us humans must have fluids squeezed out of our lungs for us to breathe!!!)  So, for the rest of her life, she feeds on nectar and reproduces.  So completes this circle of life.  This whole process takes approximately  one month.  How this happens is completely "inconceivable."

In very recent days, I too, am experiencing metamorphosis.  At least for me, this process is very painful and ugly.  Yet, in my crossroad of extreme vulnerability, "something transformational is happening."  Right now, I have no idea how to explain this new discovery.  But, I can only pray that God will allow something as beautiful as today's butterfly to emerge.  I want to breathe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment