I recently stumbled upon this excerpt from "The Dark Horse" by John Fischer (I highly recommend this book/allegory): "The Dark Horse has become a symbol of the ordinary person who comes out a winner, due to the grace of God. But most importantly, the Dark Horse is an image of real Christianity...righteousness amidst human flaws. The church is inundated with White Horses. Flawless, successful, inaccessible leadership who only drive the average Christian deeper into frustration, guilt and failure. If we are to learn to follow Christ, it will be the Dark Horses, not the the White ones, that will show us the way."
I deeply long for my life to symbolize the "Dark Horse." (I guess black hair helps??) I have absolutely no desire to be a "White Horse." If living real life means I can't take a shower or brush my teeth or wear clean clothes or that I need to sleep on the streets of Philly for a week just to identify e.g. with the homeless or those viewed as "low lives" or "the down and out"...then that is where I need to be and what I am called to do. I want those in "my territory" (and that territory is ever expanding) to see and experience downright real. I am willing to "get down and dirty"...in whatever path I need to take.
"I will love you for you...not for what you have done or for what you've become..." ~J.J. Heller
No comments:
Post a Comment