Saturday, June 22, 2013

Reason for visit: Cough??

9-23-05  Another lost life, Iaesha.  New Patient.  I can see her still...petite teenager, tightly fitted clothes, low cut neck line, obvious tattoo on her breast.  Certainly not how I would ever dress.  Dark make-up, rough around the edges...obvious loss of innocence at such a young age.

Reason for visit:  Cough and "heart racing spells."  Really?? She admits to her recent prescription drug overdose.  Family?  None.  She knows none of her family history.  She has been a product of the foster care system since she was 2 weeks old.  Abandoned by her parents.  Multiple diagnoses:  Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, multiple attempted suicides leading to multiple in-patient Psychiatric admissions.  My heart was broken.

All this in a 10 minute encounter and assessment.  My eyes pierced hers.  Diagnosis:  dying for love...dying for someone to simply care.  Bottom line:  only Jesus can put all her broken pieces together. 

I often wonder where this precious life is today.  There are so many just like her out there.  Am I willing to see them?

No comments:

Post a Comment