Written May 8, 2016
It is Mother's day. While some view this day as just another Hallmark day, to me it is a day of so much meaning.
Today is a day for me to remember my mom and all of her sacrifices. To this day, she gives with her whole heart; she is the most unselfish person I know. She met my needs, she calmed my fears, she dried my tears, she listened to my woes, she shared my joys...and still does. She taught me to love Jesus, to love others and to love beauty and nature. When I hear the Chickadee's song or see the beauty of a flower...I see my mom. As she was raised near the Gulf of Mexico, I swear I was conceived by the sea! She swears I wasn't, but she says I may have been in her thoughts. :) We both love the voice of the sea...it is woven through our being. I can't imagine what this life will be like without my mom one day.
So, here I am on Mother's day. I'm home caring for my sick daughter and disinfecting bathrooms. While some may complain and say, "What?? It's Mother's day! I shouldn't have to do one thing...I should be pampered today!" In a strange sort of way, I'm thankful to be cleaning the bathrooms. It was twenty years before I was blessed to have a daughter to call my own and to be called a mom. To hear her sincerely say these words in tears today, "Thank you, Mama, for taking care of me,"...was a priceless gift in itself.
Being a mom is a package deal with a no return policy. I have no higher calling than to be the best wife and mom that I can be. I long to keep the end in mind, to create positive moments and lasting memories. And...like my mom, to love with my whole heart.
Perfection?? Not even close. No one has written a book about how to do this. But, I'm writing my own.
p.s. and thanks Mom, for cleaning the bathrooms when I was sick. Have I ever thanked you enough?
No comments:
Post a Comment