Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Season of Lent: Writing #4: Simply..."Come..."

Psalm94: 19; 95:1-7

Sometimes there’s just no light in the darkness…or so it seems.

Due to a broken electrical pole, this morning our whole community was without power.  I made my way in the dark, found the matches and lit a candle.  It is amazing how much light is cast with just one small candle.  This week, for whatever reason, I struggle to find that one small glimmer of light to share.

Our theme verse for Ladies’ retreat, this past weekend, was Matthew 11:28:  “Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Put my yoke upon your shoulders-it might appear heavy at first, but it is perfectly fitted to your curves, learn from me, for I am gentile and humble of heart.  When you are yoked to me, your weary souls will find rest.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light!” (The Voice)  Two days later, little did I know how much comfort those words would bring.  I faced a situation that caused me extreme anxiety.  Those times tend to hit without warning and rock my inner world.  I felt weary and heavy…”When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.”  Jesus reminded me, “I’ve got this.  I’m carrying this.  Remember…I made the earth, the mountains and the amazing sea?  Really now…I’ve got it.”

So, this is my glimmer of light.  Sometimes, we make our relationship with Jesus so complicated.  All he asks is that we “Come.”  “Come let us sing for  joy…come before him with thanksgiving…come let us bow down and worship.;  for he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture…the flock under his care."  He cares about every detail of our lives and loves us beyond our wildest imagination.  We can bring it to him...anything.

How much more simple can it be?  Simply..."Come."


No comments:

Post a Comment