Yesterday, I was doing that thinking thing again. We say, "Happy Easter!" But to so many, is it really happy? What does this phrase really mean?
I'd say for most, "Happy Easter" means: egg hunts, a delicious ham dinner, family times, pretty dresses, spring flowers, visits with the Easter bunny, egg dyeing, loads of chocolate candy and searching for baskets full of more worthless stuff. It means more stress. The day is empty.
I listen and I observe. Empty faces all around me; soul holes. My neighbor does his usual...he washes his truck. Sisters are playing soccer. Another neighbor takes her daily 3 mile walk. Easter is just another day without meaning. Singing in the choir, I look out only to see more empty faces...searching for answers...seemingly absent of joy. They are doing the church-thing again. They are doing their duty. What makes this worship experience any different? In general, we just don't get it. I am more than disheartened. There is so much more to life than what I see and sense...even within myself.
Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't understand the full scope of what Easter means. But, it is only because of what Jesus has freely done for us...that we can have hope. We can daily live in joy beyond expression...beyond comprehension. But, do we live there? If you live there, I want to meet you. I will be honest...I don't. It is all about that word, "Eucharisteo...a triplet of stars: grace, thanksgiving and joy." (One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp)
When we come to deeply and fully understand grace...a completely life-changing grace...then we can daily live a life of genuine thanksgiving and joy. "Thanksgiving is the evidence of our acceptance of whatever Jesus gives. Thanksgiving is the manifestation of our Yes! to his grace." (One Thousand Gifts)
No comments:
Post a Comment