Sitting in my sun-room this morning, my mind was whirling out of control with my to-do list. This is exactly what I am NOT supposed to do in my hour of solitude! Sometimes, I just can't turn my mind off...just like I can't just turn off any other organ of my body and have it function effectively, I guess. Even when I sleep, I dream...my mind never seems to stop. Sheesh.
Anyway, I was thinking about what I plan to do for my daughter's end of the year teacher gift. Normally, I like to give her teacher a nice piece of pottery with some lemon thyme. I love herbs...they are great therapy. My note will typically say, "Thank you so much for your investment of "thyme" in my daughter's life." You see it's not just about her education that matters to me. It's much more about relationships and character development. In the end, it really won't be all about getting good grades. It's about who we become as a person and who Jesus forms us to be.
I am reminded...basically all that truly matters is our investment of "thyme" in others' lives. When I think about it...time is really all we have. It's simply about being there: listening with our whole hearts, walking alongside of others through the good, bad and ugly, sitting on dirty floors just to look deep into hurting eyes, stopping our unnecessary tasks to connect, putting aside our comfort and sometimes visiting dark places, belly laughing until it hurts, crying tears of sadness and joy, encouraging one another on to higher heights...walking on the beach with someone and not having to say one word.
It's not the things that I remember. It's the "thyme" that very significant people have invested in my life. For example...the times that Mom and I sat on our front porch swing for endless hours as she helped me through my teenage and young adult years. Or...sitting by the fire with family and friends talking about what matters most. For this reason, I am one wealthy woman. I really am.

No comments:
Post a Comment