Yesterday, I had an appointment to see my awesome Nurse Practitioner. She is by no means one of those warm, fuzzy persons. Quite the opposite; she's got a really rough, urban edge about her. Honestly, at first meeting, I didn't like her. But, she has an ER/ICU background and her skills are outstanding. If there is ever anything wrong with me, she's right on it. And, she's got this rough, to the point" sense of humor that I have grown to love. If ever I follow my dream to become a Family Nurse Practitioner, I'd love to train under her. Over time, we have developed a really good relationship and I have utmost respect for her.
During my appointment, I further discovered that she also has an adopted child. We delved a bit into our personal stories and I told her more about how my daughter's life came to be. She asked if I would show her a picture. So, of course I just happened to have one to show her! :) She said, "She's beautiful.! Awwww, look at your husband with his arms around her." I said, "Yes, he absolutely LOVES her." At that point, I could see her eyes well up and she turned away from me. I said, "Are you crying??" (Yes, I was purposeful in asking my question...I wanted her to know that I noticed.) Uncomfortable, she responded, "Yes, I get very sentimental about these things." She was at a loss for words and made a pretty quick departure to see her next patient.
She's quite a tough nut to crack...I would never have guessed that I would see tears. Again, my perceptions were wrong. Who knows what's going on inside of her? I sure don't. But, I do know that I am called to build relationships and be Jesus to others. I do know that He was fully present in our encounter yesterday. The rest is to be continued. I just know there will be more conversations to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment