Today, I had the awesome honor to be the "mystery reader" in my daughter's third grade class. I love it because it is a time when I can share my heart with these kids. I read the book, "You are Special," by Max Lucado. It is our family's favorite. And, it never fails...I cannot make it through without tears. It hits way too close to home. It is written to children, but trust me...it hits big people even harder, I think. We are never too old for children's books, are we?
Anyway, the story is about a wooden boy named, Punchinello, who is a Wemmick. The Wemmick's are wooden people who are intricately carved by a master craftsman named, Eli. All the Wemmicks do is go around putting dots and stars on others. The dots are basically for those considered to be losers in life. The stars are for those who are beautiful, noticed and seem to excel in everything. Punchinello received lots of dots. Then, Punchinello meets a friend named Lucia who has no dots or stars. He was curious as to why her stickers didn't stick. She knew her Maker well and therefore doesn't allow any stickers to stick. So, Punchinello meets his Maker and decides he doesn't want to have anymore dots or stars. He wants to know his Maker and what really matters in His eyes. What others think doesn't matter to his Maker at all. That's the essence of the story.
I cry because I can relate. I took off my sunglasses and grabbed the opportunity to share some of my personal story with the students. I received a lot of dots in my formative years from kids who were downright mean. But, in the midst I also received stars. Unfortunately, I allowed the stickers to stick. I didn't deeply understand what my Maker thinks of me. Although I understand much more fully now, the scars still remain, my heart still hurts. It has been an ever-evolving healing process.
So, if there is anything I wanted those students to know...it is how special they are and how uniquely they are made. (And, they happen to be the best third grade EVER!!!) If I could spare them the dots and stars of life I would. But, I know I can't. All I can pray is that God spoke to their tender little hearts in the 20 minute time that I had them all~to~myself. And, it was such an honor to have my daughter right there...by my side. And, she wasn't even embarrassed that I kissed her on the lips right in front of her class. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment