Thursday, January 29, 2015

Your Place?

Yesterday, I was fully ready to pack it all up, escape to a deserted island paradise, live on fresh fish and coconut water, have "Wilson" the volleyball as my best friend, not tell anyone where I was going...and stay there...forever.  It was one of those days; I just couldn't hold it together.  But then, there's the little girl who sat in my office waiting for 2 hours repeatedly singing totally off-key, "You know Dasher, and Dancer, and Prancer and Vixon...Comet, and Cupid, and Donner and Blitzen..."  I'm thankful for those sweet moments that totally make my days, make me smile and bring out my inner child.

Switching gears, 2 days ago we had a beautiful snow.  We were at the tail end of another "Nor-Easter."  Ever since my childhood in NY, I tried to explain to my husband that Nor-Easters always give me a "spooky" sense.  I'm not sure why.  He looked at me like I had at least 3 heads.

Then, last Saturday...yes I did!   For our second annual get-away, and for the very first time in my mid-life I went Country Line Dancing with my sister-in-laws and nieces.  It was an absolute blast!  The place was packed and we were the only 12 doofuses who were clueless about what we were doing!  I'm at a place now where I can get out there and not care at all about looking ridiculous. I have never laughed so hard in my entire life!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat and it was GREAT exercise.

We went out for dinner at a restaurant called, "Your Place" and then went line-dancing at a spot called "Low Places."  All my life I've grown up believing that dancing is totally wrong.   Of all places, the church has been so judgmental.  I just can't shake it.  I'm at a place where I'm asking God to search deep into my heart and help me to find freedom in Christ.  Trust me, I know where my lines are drawn.  Some lines, I absolutely will not cross.  I must ask, "Will I be governed by religious rules or will I live my life the way Jesus wants me to live? Am I honoring Him?" It's all about my relationship with Jesus and obedience.

So, I began thinking about the names, “Low Places” and “Your Place.”  God began speaking to me about this.  Obviously in life, we all have high places, low places, status-quo places…on and on it goes.  I think it is really important that we take time for some regular introspection…to examine our hearts and ask God to show us where we really are.   I am in the process of asking God to show me these things; they can be painful.  I want to be set free from what holds me captive. You see, yes, I love to have fun.  But for me, it's way more about getting out there and building relationships with others and sharing the light of Jesus.  I can't help but to notice the empty faces and wonder about the places of others.  Maybe I can make a difference in just one life.

In all this, I began re-reading one of my favorite classic books, "Hinds Feet on High Places."  Based on Hab 3:19, "He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on to the heights."  Jesus is taking me on a journey; love and pain must go with me.  I'm headed for the High Places.  But right now, I'm in a "spooky place."  It's sorta scary.  I know I must go through more pain and healing for my feet to land on higher heights. It's in our nature to wish that good times will take us there.  But, we must endure the Cross and pain...knowing Jesus has already been there.  It is hard to welcome painful places.

So, where is “Your Place?” Where are you in your personal lives?  Where are you in your relationship with Jesus?  Wherever you are, embrace "your place"...fully live in it. Your place is uniquely your own.   In order to reach the High Places, we must realize that every spot along the journey is important. Allow Jesus to escort you there...to "The Purest Place."  Please listen to this song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSj8JnrG7CM.

No comments:

Post a Comment