Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A seaside conversation

August 14

This afternoon, I had an amazing conversation with a woman here on the beach..  It was one of those moments in time when I knew in my heart that God allowed our paths to cross for a reason.

I'd been watching this certain family all week; a Caucasian couple with an approximate 10 year old Asian son.  I made an assumption that he was adopted.  They played, laughed and their faces glowed with a significant difference.  I knew that difference must be Jesus.  Our kids made an immediate connection and played unreservedly together...as kids so easily do.

Brandon's mom introduced herself and we ended up talking at length with incredible ease.  I probed some and Celeste openly told me about their adoption story.  As an "older couple" and after many agonizing years of infertility, anger with God, unending whys...God chose to escort Brandon from South Korea into their family.  God completed their family circle and filled their soul holes.  God, once again, had a perfect plan in mind.

In tears, we transparently exchanged thoughts.  She, in turn, inquired about our adoption story.  With this perfect stranger, I shared our story of the heartache of infertility, my anger with God and the endless unanswered questions.  We were at the end of a seemingly hopeless rope.   For whatever reason, it seemed God had closed our doors.  It would just be the 2 of us for the rest of our lives.  After 15 torturous years, in tears, we had to let go of the thought of ever having a child.   I shared the incredible miracle story of how God brought our daughter home.  We too were that "older couple." She perfectly completes us and filled the emptiness of our hearts.

I was so amazed that out of that whole wide beach, these 2 women met and made an instant connection of similar stories.  Coincidence?  I think not.  With happy tears, we knew we were sisters because of Jesus.  There was absolutely no mistake.  I love it when that happens.  We certainly can't force those kinds of relationships...they just are.

Out of seemingly hopeless situations, God makes incredible miracles happen.  He brings joy out of pain.  In quite unexpected ways, He fills our soul holes.  Yet, many times, the waiting is totally exhausting and utterly defeating.  Our prayers seem to bounce off of gray walls.  The silence and unanswered questions haunt and torture us...sometimes every minute of our waking moments.  I know I am not alone.  I know you have tough stuff in your lives too.

For me, this was yet another miracle by the sea.  Why does it ever have to end?  Sigh.
captured in flight, OBX 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment