Sitting in the sun-room during a thunderstorm goes against my better judgement. But, as my husband so compassionately says, "If God's gonna getcha, God's gonna getcha." Profound, huh? Anyway, it is amazingly peaceful here...listening to the sound of the rain and thunder. So we meet again...what do You have to say this time?
For some reason I was recalling the many vacations, as a child, that my family took to Maine. It was our favorite vacation place and holds so many positive memories. There is absolutely nothing more surreal than sitting on the rocky coastline watching the power of the waves. We would grab a yummy clam-boat, fries and coleslaw for dinner and then sit and take in the sights, sounds and smells of the sea. It's the simple memories that mean so much.
One particular time, my uncles, aunts and cousins were with us. We stopped and had a picnic at a park or something along those lines...where there was a rushing river. I was probably 3, 4 or 5; or what seemed like a river may have been a pretty mean stream. I remember this event as if it was yesterday. Well, loving the water as I obviously do, I ventured out a tad bit too far and was yanked off my feet and began rushing down stream. The current was very powerful. My teenage cousin tried to save me...then she crashed and burned. So, my uncle went after her and he struggled a bit. You can see the scene of sheer panic. Then, here comes my Daddy, my hero. My Daddy's strong legs and strong arms saved me. I was so relieved and safe in his arms. To this day, I have a terrible fear of the current and unknown waters. We also have a favorite spot called the "Cliff House" which sits on a huge cliff overlooking the crashing waves. I'd ask my Dad, "Daddy, what would happen if I fell down there into the crashing waves??" There was always a long silence. He'd say, "I'd hate to even think about what would happen, honey." It seems I'd ask him that same question every time. I was that inquisitive little girl with normal fears.
Well...now I'm a woman and yes, I absolutely still have fears; I still have weaknesses and insecurities. Father, I'm thankful for Your strong arms that save me from the powerful waters; those unexpected life challenges that can so easily knock me off my feet. I am safe just knowing that You have already gone before me. You'll be there with me. You won't allow me to go under. Thanks for loving me that much; for holding me and never letting go.
No comments:
Post a Comment