Monday, December 16, 2013

The need to be filled...

Have I ever told you this?  There is I absolutely nothing I hate more than shopping and I absolutely hate being in stores at Christmastime.  Yes, I know...hate is a really strong word.  But, I assure you...I hate it.  I am in that very small percentage of women and society that totally hates the hustle and bustle.  It is always my goal to give all homemade gifts that have immense meaning for Christmas.  But, it never fails...I end up in those dreaded stores.

As I look around and look into the eyes of shoppers, the emptiness is beyond evident.  The joy of the season is absent.  What is that perfect gift?  How can I out-do the Jones'?  Bigger, better, more, flashier.  Stressed out, dragged out, maxed out, burned out...exhausted.  I want no part of it!!!  So many of us are looking for the temporary fix for a much bigger void; we're looking in all the wrong places.  If we would only take the time to search deep within our hearts we would clearly see that void.  And worst of all, on December 26, if we were to sit in the mall we would see nothing more than many very empty, ungrateful people returning so many unwanted things.  For many, Christmas is over.  What a heart breaking sight; still longing for more and no clue of what "more" means.

Is this really what God had in His mind for us?  I think not.  As I've said before, I just can't look the other way.  This is so not how Jesus came.  He came in the simple, quiet, peace and stillness.  No rushing to give the perfect only to be returned.  He came to stay.  He came to be fully present...to be our present.  He came to completely fill our voids.  There's nothing more that I want than for Jesus to complete me and to fill my emptiness.  He is that perfect gift.

1 comment: