Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mountains vs. Molehills

This morning, as I was in a discussion, I used the common phrase, "But, I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill."  Soon after breakfast, I started reading the book, "Adult children of Alcoholics."  I want to understand more about how alcoholism affects a family...mostly how it has affected me.  As the author began this project, her colleagues shrugged their shoulders.  Strangely, in the very first paragraph, the author writes, "I was, once again, making a mountain out of what others considered a mole hill--or less."  There it was again.  I found this common phrase to be no coincidence.

I then thought to myself, "What makes a mountain?" So, of course I "googled it."  Folded Mountains are the most common type of mountain. They are created by tectonic plates pushing against each other. This creates intense pressure. Therefore, the only direction for these mountains to move is up. When two plates move away from each other, they create a rift valley in between them. Sometimes, if plates collide, one will force the other under itself.  This is another way that folded mountains are formed.

So, I had to be honest with myself.  My mountain is a mountain.  Over many years, there's only so much pushing and pressure before what one has experienced becomes a mountain.  Yet, as I reach for wholeness and overall health, I know with God's help that I can and I will overcome this mountain.  It's no secret; we all have our mountains to overcome.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, thought the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging."  Psalm 46: 2-3.

I must say, strange things happen to women when they turn 50.  And, my precious sister-in-law reminded me that I only have about 25 years left to live.  Nice.  I want to begin living life to its fullest...whatever that means.  Ready or not, here I come...

No comments:

Post a Comment