We were blessed once again as a family to be able to spend a week on a lake in Maine...not far from the beautiful rocky coast...where I can easily spend hours doing nothing but listening to the sounds of the sea. This year's highlight for me was hearing and watching for the Loons. I'd go out in the boat by myself early every morning...just waiting and listening for them. It was incredibly peaceful. Sure enough, I'd find them out there...busy fishing. The Loons are my new absolute favorites; I could watch them all day! And, I love their soothing call. They seem to love playing "hide and go seek" on me. They provided me with so much fun and modeled perfect peace.
Ya know, it's funny...over the years I've spent a lot of time on many different northern lakes, but never really noticed the Loon's voice. I'm sure they were there...I just wasn't tuned in to hear them. Or, perhaps I just wasn't interested at those different stages of my life.
Just as I needed to be patient and listen for the Loons, so I wonder how often God is trying to speak to me and I'm just not quiet enough or I'm just not really listening for His voice. My best guess is He is fervently speaking to me throughout my days but I have my own agenda. Much too often, I'm much too busy to quiet my soul and just listen.
I encourage you to just be still. Quiet your soul.
| Smiling Loon...what a beauty! Maine, July 2016 |
No comments:
Post a Comment