My dad is an awesome carpenter; I've always been fascinated by his amazing work. In my twenties, just before I embarked on my own, my dad gave me a precious gift. He gave me that ugly tool box. Thoughtfully and purposefully, he fixed me up with these things inside: small flashlight, short and long flat screwdrivers, fillips screwdriver (aren't you impressed that I know the difference?), razor knife, wrench, nut screwdriver, small hammer, pliers, 6 in clamp, wooden rule, tape measure, small level, tweezers, clamps, wire cutter and small scissors. I have turned to that tool box on many occasions. I know it may sound strange, but I love that little tool box...and no one messes with it!! Little did my dad know how much that gift would mean to me.
You see, my tool box symbolizes the many ways my dad equipped me with tools for living. Yet, even though I have all the basics that I might need, many times, like my umbrella stand, I just can't fix some things in life. Some are broken beyond repair. Some mending takes time. Those things require complete surrender...throwing up my hands and saying, "I'm at my end, Jesus, take me on your journey and use whatever tools you need to mend my brokenness." I may never see the fixed product here in my earthly life. Yet, I cannot give up.
So, on this Father's day, thank you, dad for the gift of my ugly green tool box. Thank you for your unconditional love and endless help over the years. Thank you for teaching me to love Jesus first and then to love others. My greatest prayer, is that one day you will deeply understand your value and worth in the way God does.
You are the best Dad ever! Words cannot begin to express all the reasons I am thankful for you.
I love you, Dad.
| "My ugly green tool box" |
No comments:
Post a Comment