Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Saying good-bye is never easy...

We were never meant to have to say good-bye.

In the quiet of my sun-room this morning, I'm embracing the moments of yesterday's memorial service.  In my previous post, "The up and down waves of life," I mentioned that I had to say good-bye to someone who deeply impacted my life.  I cannot believe he is gone.  My heart really hurts.

As we celebrated and remembered his life, I was fully present for those three hours.  Those times certainly cause me to think a lot about what is most important.  As I looked around the crowded room, there were so many people that I've know for many, many years...so many people who have touched my life.  I looked around at their faces...some I am certain were wearing those dreaded masks.  I know their past and their pain.

In his honor, as we sang two of my favorite hymns, "Great is Thy faithfulness" and "It is well with my soul," I experienced just a decibel level and tiny glimpse of Heaven...in a way I have never known before.  We were flooded by tears and our hearts exploded with praise to God.  It truly was a worship experience.  That's the way he would have wanted it.  I was left wondering in those moments...were we actually standing in the foyer of Heaven???

A friend I have known for 20 years sang an older, poignant song titled, "Thank You for giving to the Lord," by Ray Boltz.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAv4qs_YnQ.   It's a tear jerker...just trust me on this one.  The key lyrics simply say, "Thank you for giving to the Lord.  I am a life that's been changed..."  My mind was flooded with so many memories.  I lost it as my tears began to flow.

I am certain of one thing.  Regardless if it freaks people out or not, I need to say thank you so much more.  I've heard others say, "I don't need to tell them...they just know."  I don't agree.  I must ask, do they really just know??  Do we tell them when we have the opportunity...now?  Why is total honesty so uncomfortable for so many???

Once again I am reminded that nothing matters more to me than the people in my life.  I want to leave this earth with the confidence that I did my very best to invest in lives...walking beside them no matter what their circumstances.  I could seriously live in a little shack (as long as it has a fireplace and a little room for me to think and to write).  Things don't matter one single bit.  We certainly don't take stuff with us, right??  I just want to finish well.  This is my deepest prayer.

p.s. I also long for my home to be a haven for others.  If you come, just promise me you won't go into my garage right now.  There is a refugee frog that died somewhere in there.  We can't find him (notice I say him?).  It stinks really, really bad.  Just sayin'....

No comments:

Post a Comment